Apple Crumble Squares Rosh Hashana Sweet Dessert Idea
A few days ago while I was on my Instagram my eye caught a photo of an apple crumble square recipe on my Instagram feed.
To my delight, the apple square recipe was posted below the photo. Being that I enjoy baking and trying out new recipes, I went ahead and took a screen shot, and got to baking this new-found, perfect-for-rosh-hashana dessert recipe.
I made a few changes which I thought would bring it to higher level of yumminess.
And yummy it is!
I like myself a good cup of coffee. I don’t get out much, since I’m crazy busy with work. However, we I DO get out, my favorite go to coffee chill spot is Hillel cafe.
I take my children out on breakfast/ lunch/ dinner dates from time to time, and two out of three of my children always order the breakfast. My third orders her favorite pasta.
Included in the Hillel cafe breakfast menu is fresh squeezed juice. When my eye spotted the FRESH apple juice, I had to give it a try. Oh me, oh my. That was the best apple juice I have ever tasted.
Now back to my apple crumble square recipe:
When grating the apples for the recipe filling, there was a lot of juice in the bowl. I didn’t want the filling to be all liquid-y, so I squeezed the juice out… When the realization hit me, THE APPLE LIQUID WOULD MAKE DELICIOUS APPLE JUICE!
And so, I poured the juice into a cup… and it was even better than cafe Hillel’s fresh apple juice!
If you’re going to make this delicious apple crumble square recipe, do yourself a HUGE favor and DRINK the squeezed juice from the grated apples!
למתכון בעברית: עוגת תפוחים קראנץ’ חתוך לריבועים
Apple Crumble Squares
For the crust:
- 100 grams margarine melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoon cold water
- 3 large apples grated
- 240 grams apple or pear jam
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cookie Pecan Crumble
- 3/4 cup buiscuits crushed
- 50 grams margarine melted
- 1/4 cup pecans crushed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt margarine mix in flour add sugar and water.
- Cut the sides of the dough, to even out. Cover a baking pan with baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes on 190 Celsius.
Apple crumble filling
- Grate apples. strain and set the juice aside. Add cornflour lemon juice and jam. Mix thoroughly. Pour over baked crust.
- Melt margarine. Mix in Crushed cookies. add crushed pecans and vanilla extract.
- Bake on 170 Celsius for 15 minutes.